[Sca-cooks] gravy

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 23:54:37 PST 2003

Anahita said:
> Kirsten Houseknecht  wrote:
> >  then we make the gravy.....
> >  we will be trying the "thicken thin not starch" from atkins instead
> of
> >  flour.
>
> And Cailte responded::
> >gee... when i was growing up, gravy for us was always just the
> degreased
> >pan drippings... no  flour, butter, cornstarch... nada, zip, zilch...
>
> Yeah, me too. I really don't like starch-thickened gravies. Give me
> those unthickened flavorful pan drippings every day.
But is this gravy? I thought gravy was broth or drippings combined with
a thickener. We've discussed gravy previously when we were discussing
whether gravy was period. I can't imagine them not simply putting some
of the drippings on the meat. Using a flour thickener is a much bigger
step.

For those curious, here is the one recipe that I believe that we have
found that is a period gravy.
gravy-msg          (8K)  9/ 1/00    Period gravy. Renaissance, not
medieval.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/gravy-msg.html

Stefan
--------