[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving food

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Thu Nov 27 19:47:01 PST 2003

As usual, I purloined a friend's house...and him...for Thanksgiving dinner.
He lives alone in a large victorian house and has a huge dining room which
rarely gets used.  So...we go there.   I provide the turkey...he cooks it.  Then
my family descends and we eat.  Other years, we took in "strays"..but there
seemed to be none this year.
   I provided an appetizer tray with steamed shrimp and melted butter, cheese
cubes, and garlic stuffed olives.  My family traditionally has "Cope's"
corn..and it's conveniently in a can now...not the original dried.   I also
replaced the candied sweet potatoes with the "cubed, roasted with garlic" idea I got
off of this list...it was a hit!
  My friend also made a green salad with hot bacon dressing, mashed potatoes
with gravy, and a pumpkin pie, chocolate cheesecake and a banana cake.  (the
desserts to go to work with him tonight).
    I provided a bottle of cranberry wine I'd found when I cleaned out my
Mom's house...a totally unknown quantity from......Mississippi.  It was
surprisingly good.  And...my sons actually drank some!  (college kids are not known for
their palate!).
   A good time was had by all...we ate..and ate...and ate.   I hope you all
had wonderful times with friends and families!

Etain