[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving food

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Thu Nov 27 18:14:19 PST 2003

Well, we're not in Iowa as planned.  An hour out the front wheel
nearly came off.

We stopped with only one of the five lugnuts intact, the other four,
the stud had broken.  Any other day it would have been easy to fix,
but nothing was open, so we ended up being towed back to Columbus.
Like last July, when we were towed with a dead van from a spot just a
bit farther on.... only colder and wetter.  But we were safe and no
real damage to the car.  If we had lost the wheel in freeway traffic,
it could have been much worse.

My 11 yr old, Kate, and I stopped at the grocery closest to us, and
got food.... and some champagne... and walked back with it all in the
rain.  Which was more fun than it sounds, we were laughing and
running thru the puddles, since we were too wet to care if we got
wetter.  Kate won a silly toy from one of those claw machines, which
almost consoled her for not seeing her cousin.

We had "ready to eat" food, since it was 4pm by then an no one had
eaten all day.  Nice crusty sour dough bread with good cheese and
some beautiful pears, a rather disappointing cranberry bread, a
chicken already roasted, and some shrimp... and champagne.  My grown
son Shawn and his gf Tara stopped by with their puppy.  Then I took a
nap.  The suitcases are still in the van.

I have a turkey defrosting and I'll probably make "Thanksgiving
Dinner" tomorrow.  An odd thanksgiving to be sure, but it was a good
one anyway.

Ranvaig
giving thanks for that fifth lugnut