[Sca-cooks] Thanksgiving Cooking in a Corset

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Thu Nov 27 21:25:50 PST 2003

Thanksgiving went off only two hours late today.  Dolores Jane Turkey turned
out to be largely frozen despite having started thawing in the cooler in the
auxiliary refrigerator (garage - temps don't get above 40 degrees in there
this time of year, and a large, frozen mass in a cooler isn't in danger of
overheating).  So we filled the sink and sent Dolores Jane to swim with the
fishes for an hour.

A lot of prep work had been done by 'Lanie and I earlier in the week, and
when James arrived from Ashland we could pretty much let him work at the
non-canonical corn bread stuffing and some truly yummy rolls.

I seem to have pulled a muscle in my back, the one just below the bra line
(sorry gentlemen, but you know where I mean) and standing and work was
beginning to cause a lot of pain.  I finally decided to see if my Tudor
corset might help me stand up straight and ease that muscle.  So I fished
out the new one that I made this summer, slipped it on and pulled the laces
tight.

Bummer!  There was no more corset spring.  The edges came together.  Good
because it means I have lost two inches off my bust, but bad because it
isn't going to be of any use as a corset under my Tudor style gowns.  Have
to make a new one.

However it is still tight enough to provide back support so it stayed on.
Sure enough I spent all the rest of the day working around and my back was
fine.  It wasn't until I took it off after dinner (Oof!  Belt, corset,
anything tight around the tummy) that my back began bothering me again, but
now I can take Valium and if I fall asleep there isn't a problem.

I'll use the idea for tomorrow and the 18-20 person Thanksgiving for Friends
we traditionally have!

"Back brace, we don't need no steekin' back brace!  We are Tudor!"

Regina Romsey/Wanda Pease
Sit vis nobiscum.