[Sca-cooks] pre-Columbian foods

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Sat Nov 1 21:45:30 PST 2003

Christine Seelye-King <kingstaste at mindspring.com> [2003.11.02] wrote:

> We are thinking foods that were here when the Westerners got to
> land.

If you are looking for actual pre-contact food you may want to take a
look at The Billetin of Primitive Technology
(http://www.primitive.org/backissues.htm). There have been several
articles about food, and one issue (#19, still available according to
their web-site) focussed on the subject. This is where you'll find
people who are at least as fanatic about authenticity as we are here,
but with a plaeolithic focus (done "right" a stone age tool has to be made
using stone age tools).

Considering the season acorns come to mind. Properly leached -- hull¸
grind, rinse, rinse, rinse... -- they are quite good.

Also the fall hunt would have been going on (last chance for migratory
birds, etc).

> also been talking about a buffalo roast, as Ted Turner has opened his
> "Montana Grille" right across the street from where my lord works, and is
> also supplying buffalo to the local Farmer's Market now.  (I know, that is
> really a prarie food and not something the folks just landing in coastal
> areas would have had, but Uncle Ted provides, so we take advantage of
> that...)

There was a eastern forrest buffalo, which might reasonably have been
available to at least some of the groups along the east coast. Pit
cooked buffalo (chunk of, not the whole thing)...

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in the
proper order then why can't he?