[Sca-cooks] pre-Columbian foods

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 2 13:14:26 PST 2003

Ulfr mentioned:
> Christine Seelye-King <kingstaste at mindspring.com> [2003.11.02] wrote:
> > We are thinking foods that were here when the Westerners got to
> > land.
> Considering the season acorns come to mind. Properly leached -- hull¸
> grind, rinse, rinse, rinse... -- they are quite good.
Oops. I forgot about these. There is some info on preparing and eating
acorns in this file in the FOOD section of the Florilegium:
nuts-msg         (101K)  5/28/02    Nuts, acorns, nut flours in
medieval foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/nuts-msg.html

> Also the fall hunt would have been going on (last chance for migratory
> birds, etc).
There is some info on preparing and cooking small game birds in this
file, although you will have to look at the comments and recipes to see
if they would apply to cooking these in the New World:
birds-recipes-msg (20K)  5/18/01    Bird recipes. Squabs, pheasants,
quail.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MEATS/birds-recipes-msg.html

Stefan
--------