[Sca-cooks] Pre-Columbian Foods

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sun Nov 2 14:34:33 PST 2003

Was written:

> I seem to remember there was a New World ant that produced a sweet
> substance, which was used in a rather limited fashion.

Yes IIRC the ants in question use members as a living repositiory of food.
Nectar is stored in individual ants who resided in special chambers in the
mound.  These ants IIRC are native to the US southwest.

Was asked:

> Is there a type of rabbit native to the New World?

The cotton tail so well known in Southern folk lore ("Brier Rabbit") and the
jack rabbit of the southwest as well as the snowshoe hare of the north all
spring to mind.  I seem to recall that hares, rabbits and conies while
related are distinctly different.  Any rabbit/rodentologists on the list?

Daniel