[Sca-cooks] Pre-Columbian Foods

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Nov 2 16:17:45 PST 2003

>> Large strawberries are new world.
>Hmmm. I thought the large strawberries were a hybrid of New and Old
>World varieties. See:
>strawberries-msg  (52K)  8/19/03    Period strawberries. Recipes.
>http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-FRUITS/strawberries-msg.html

Modern hybrid strawberries are a cross between Chilean and Virginian
varieties.  Most European strawberries have chromosonal properties which
make them difficult to hybridize.

>Is there a type of rabbit native to the New World? Again, another item
>that may have had varieties in both hemispheres.

Old World rabbits are genus Oryctolagus.  New World rabbits are more
properly hares in genus Lepus.

>I thought peanuts were from Africa originally.

Peanuts are of Andean origin and were brought to Africa by the Portuguese
then apparently reimported into North America via the slave trade.  Prior to
the arrival of the peanut, several varieties of ground nuts were eaten in
West Africa.

>With currants, I guess there is some question as to what fruit is
>really meant, but there are a number of medieval manuscripts calling
>for currants, I thought.
>
>Stefan

The term currant is used for small seedless raisins (raisins of Corinth) and
for the fruit of various members of genus Ribes which are found across the
Northern Hemisphere.  I tend to go with the raisins for Medieval recipes.

Bear