[Sca-cooks] pre-Columbian foods

John Kemker john at kemker.org
Tue Nov 4 20:23:51 PST 2003

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

>>Sheesh, cant a *nonchristian* have faith too? Cant a *nonchristian* want
>>to demonstrate their faith or thanks .... Not that big a difference
>>between some english peasant giving the church a carving as thanks for a
>>good harvest, safe childbirth or whatever, and some mayan going and
>>bleeding to feed the gods...or a jewish tribesman sacrificing a dove at
>>the temple in jerusalem...
>>

>See, I get the other end of the stick, too... I hate it when my
>co-religionists (neopagans) complain about how much people have donated to
>churches (and they do) but then wax enthusiastic about greek, roman,
>egyptian temples and stone megaliths.

As a Christian, I don't recall ever having anything but a deep, abiding
admiration for anyone who managed to build anything as grand as
Tenochtitlan, the Egyptian Wonders, the Parthenon, Stonehenge and other
assorted standing stones or Easter Island.  (It might have to do with a
strong Masonic influence in my youth.  Builders Are Good.)

There are a few loudmouth Christians out there who abuse the name.  For
those, I apologize.  Please don't use an overly broad brush when
painting Christians as intolerant.  It smacks of intolerance.

--Cian