Christianity in SCA cookery. was Re: [Sca-cooks] pre-Columbian foods

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Wed Nov 5 12:51:35 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> OK, steering this all back on topic:  what about Christian dietary laws
> and why don't we ever seem to bother with them in the SCA?  I keep
> trying to serve fish during Lent and all I get are complaints.  O
> Tempura, O Morays! <grin, duck, run really fast!>
>
> Selene Colfox

Hmmm. Well, around here we've had a Princess who was deathly allergic to
fish, thus, no fish served at feasts during her reigns. Other than that, I
think part of the reason is that for most people, fish=tuna salad,
fish=tuna hotdish, fish=fish sticks, or fish=hyper-expensive swordfish
steak. Also, fish is quite expensive here in the heartland. When I bought
for this last 12th night, I got pork butt for $.99/lb, but the cheapest
fish I could get was salmon at $4.99/lb.

Anybody who's actually served fish at a feast care to comment?

Margaret