Christianity in SCA cookery. was Re: [Sca-cooks] pre-Columbianfoods

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 13:18:06 PST 2003

>On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Susan Fox-Davis wrote:
>

> > OK, steering this all back on topic:  what about Christian dietary laws
> > and why don't we ever seem to bother with them in the SCA?  I keep
> > trying to serve fish during Lent and all I get are complaints.  O
> > Tempura, O Morays! <grin, duck, run really fast!>
> >
> > Selene Colfox
>
>Hmmm. Well, around here we've had a Princess who was deathly allergic to
>fish, thus, no fish served at feasts during her reigns. Other than that, I
>think part of the reason is that for most people, fish=tuna salad,
>fish=tuna hotdish, fish=fish sticks, or fish=hyper-expensive swordfish
>steak. Also, fish is quite expensive here in the heartland. When I bought
>for this last 12th night, I got pork butt for $.99/lb, but the cheapest
>fish I could get was salmon at $4.99/lb.
>
>Anybody who's actually served fish at a feast care to comment?
>
>Margaret

We made a star gazey pie for high table a while back.  Not only did none of
it come back, they came to the kitchen and asked for more.  When told we
only had made the one, they asked for the recipe!  For this occasion I made
it with fillets of fish instead of whole fish.  I wrapped the bacon to cover
the whole fillet and added a whole clove to not only act as the "eye" but to
hold that end of bacon in place.

We occasionally serve fillets of salmon and they are well recieved with
little returning to the kitchen.

I have been toying with some variations on making individual star gazey
pocket pies for buffets.

I will say that if anyone on this list is ever going to make something for
Mary Grace of Gatlain to eat, just make a star gazey pie and stand back!
Olwen