Christianity in SCA cookery. was Re: [Sca-cooks] pre-Columbianfoods

Ariane H phoenissa at netscape.net
Wed Nov 5 17:40:38 PST 2003

ahrenshav at yahoo.com wrote:

>--- "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:
>

>>When you sing that to the score of the "Carmina
>>Burana",
>>do you use the music as originally written by
>>Carl Orff,
>>or the Ray Manzarek contemporary version (A&M
>>CS-4945
>>[4-track], or AMLX64945 [CD])?
>>

>Ummmm, Vincenzo, Orff didn't originally write the
>Carmina Burana, he took the various parts of the
>original and created his own variations of it.
>
>The original Carmina Burana is a collection of
>poems, songs, and short plays found in
>Benediktbeuern, a Benedictine abbey about 100 km
>south of Munich, in 1803. This manuscript was of
>13th century German origin and contained
>approximately 250 poems...

Several of the poems are also set to music: there are neumes in the
manuscript.  If you want an idea of what the "original" music sounded
like, there have been several recordings done by early music
ensembles...my personal favorite is the one by the Boston Camerata.

And besides, the quotation that started all this - "O tempora! o mores!"
- is *not* from the Carmina Burana, but from Cicero's famous oration "In
Catilinam" (the prosecution speech from a trial against Catiline,
accused of conspiracy against the Roman Republic)....that predates the
C.B. by over a millennium.  (Not to be confused with the famous "O
fortuna, velut luna" that opens Orff's oratorio.)

(Ok, back to something food-related: I made quince paste yesterday, from
slightly post-Elizabethan recipe.  It was a simple yet extremely tedious
process - took hours to cook - but it tastes excellent, and from only
three quinces I got a pretty good amount.  I'm thinking of taking some
to a party this weekend and seeing how it's received.)

Vittoria