Christianity in SCA cookery. was Re: [Sca-cooks]pre-Columbianfoods

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Nov 5 17:48:22 PST 2003

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> --- "Martin G. Diehl" <mdiehl at nac.net> wrote:
>
> > When you sing that to the score of the "Carmina
> > Burana", do you use the music as originally
> > written by Carl Orff, or the Ray Manzarek
> > contemporary version (A&M CS-4945 [4-track],
> > or AMLX64945 [CD])?
>
> Ummmm, Vincenzo, Orff didn't originally write the
> Carmina Burana, he took the various parts of the
> original and created his own variations of it.

Ooooooopppps ... my bad  <g>

(by way of explanation) ... What I "know" about this
piece is from what I remember from the back of the
LP jacket about 40 years bp.

Until now, I didn't realize that the original
manuscript included musical scores in addition to
the words of the songs.

When I wrote

    "music as originally written by Carl Orff or the
    Ray Manzarek contemporary version",

I simply meant (or could have said)

    "music of the Carl Orff classical version or the
    Ray Manzarek contemporary version"

> The original Carmina Burana is a collection of
> poems, songs, and short plays found in
> Benediktbeuern, a Benedictine abbey about 100 km
> south of Munich, in 1803. This manuscript was of
> 13th century German origin and contained
> approximately 250 poems, and other pieces. When
> Johann Andreas Schmeller published the collection
> in 1847, he gave it the title of "Carmina
> Burana." This name means 'songs of Beuren,'
> though it has since been discovered that the
> manuscript did not originate there, and may have
> come from Seckau.  Although the manuscript dates
> from the thirteenth century, most of it was
> written in the twelfth. This was a period of
> peace and prosperity in comparison with the years
> of war which preceded it. The majority of the
> Carmina Burana is written in Latin, which was the
> standard language of literacy at the time. There
> are, however, many pieces written in Middle High
> German, which shows the blossoming influence of
> vernacular languages on literature which began
> during this time. This collection is the most
> important and comprehensive source for both early
> German literature and goliardic verse.

Thanks for this additional information.

> Huette
>
> =====
> Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for
> they shall never cease to be amused.

hmmm ... yass ... </WCFields>

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

... who now recognizes that giving a reply to a
message in _some_ SCA eMail lists is like giving
courtroom testimony -- in your own defense.  <g>