[Sca-cooks] Grains of Paradise or Not?

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Nov 6 16:23:12 PST 2003

A quick browse turned up this--

Melegueta pepper is native to tropical West Africa and grows mainly in
Ghana. The spice is practically unknown in modern Western cuisine,
although it was used in Europe in the Middle Ages and Renaissance. It
was a flavouring for the old wine ‘Hippocras” and is still used for the
production of beer, wine and spirits, and the flavouring of vinegar.
Meleguetta pepper was generally known as ‘Grains of Paradise’. In fact
there are two spices, meleguetta pepper and the true Grains of Paradise,
Aframomum granum paradisi, referred to by this name. the Grain Coast of
West Africa is named for the spice . . .

Melegueta pepper may be used for culinary purposes and as a substitute
for pepper in centres of local production. Its use is generally confined
to West African cookery, though it may also find its way into Moroccan
ras el hanout combinations. Some ancient European recipes may call for
it, but pepper mixed with a little ginger may be substituted. . . .
http://pub63.ezboard.com/fcongocookbookfrm12.showMessage?topicID=84.topic

This is almost word for word what is given also in Cooking with Spices
by Heal and Allsop.

There's a great deal of confusion about this as the next paragraph shows:

It would appear that most authors confuse the two species Aframomum
granum-paradisi K. Schum. & Aframomum melegueta (Roscoe) K. Schum. and
identify them both as "grains of paradise". Strictly speaking only A.
granum-paradisi should be called by that name, A. melegueta should be
called the "meleguetta pepper" (a wide ranging number of spellings is
available). We have pointed out the error in English, we invite others
to sort the names in other languages appropriately and let us know the
results.
http://gmr.landfood.unimelb.edu.au/Plantnames/Sorting/Aframomum.html

and at least one dictionary just gives up and says:

grains of paradise
pl n  the peppery seeds of either of two African zingiberaceous plants,
Aframomum melegueta or A. granum-paradisi, used as stimulants,
diuretics, etc. Also called: guinea grains
http://www.wordreference.com/english/definition.asp?en=grains+of+paradise

Jill Norman's Herbs and Spices which has the color illustrations shows
the Amomum melegueta under Grains of Paradise and says they are also
known as melegueta peppers. They look like allspice to me.

My guess is you encountered true melegueta peppers.

Goya lists them as a South and Central American speciality.

Hope this helps.

Johnnae llyn Lewis