[Sca-cooks] sauce verification (fwd)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 7 08:45:27 PST 2003

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

>>You might discuss how medieval sauces vary from modern emulsion sauces
>>and when this transition took place and what that means...
>>

>Well... um... could you explain to me what a modern emulsion sauce is?
>
>-- Jadwiga, who only makes period sauces and fresh salsa...

The sauces that combine oil-based and water-based ingredients into a
smooth whole.  Fat + acid, Mayonnaise, Hollandaise.  Then we turn to the
Bechamel types, milk or stock added to fatty roux, which spins out into
the whole high art of the French Sauces of the late 17th Century and
onwards.

Maybe I should write that Mayo article myself?  Yah, in my copious spare
time.

Selene Colfox