[Sca-cooks] hazelnuts

Dan Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Sat Nov 8 06:24:47 PST 2003

Sorry to jump in late in this discussion but I've been out of state and/or
out of town.  when ever a nut question comes up I always turn to "The Book
of Edibles Nuts" by Fredric Rosengarten, Jr. 1984 ISBN 0-8027-0769-9.  His
chapter six from page 94 to 115 discusses the Filbert (Hazelnut) in great
detail.  That chapter leads off with a woodcut botanical illustration from
"The Herball or General Historie of Plantes" John Gerarde. London 1636.

Latin is Cirylus avellala L.
Spanish Avellana
French  Noisette
German Haselnuss
Swedish Hasselnot (got that double dot over the o)
Arabic Bunduq
Dutch Hazelaar
Italian Nocciola
Portuguese Aveleira
Russian Lesnoi Orekh
Japanese Hashibami
Chinese Chen Tzu

Lots of history, another wood cut from H. Bock undated but 1554 or earlier
and an illustration of a 1512 painting by A Durer 1512 and a photo of a
carbonized filbert shell from Pompeii. Three pages of recipes at the end.