[Sca-cooks] sauce verification (fwd)

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Nov 9 00:24:32 PST 2003

Selene Colfox commented:
> jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:
> >> You might discuss how medieval sauces vary from modern emulsion
> sauces
> >> and when this transition took place and what that means...
> >
> > Well... um... could you explain to me what a modern emulsion sauce
> is?
> >
> > -- Jadwiga, who only makes period sauces and fresh salsa...
>
> The sauces that combine oil-based and water-based ingredients into a
> smooth whole.  Fat + acid, Mayonnaise, Hollandaise.  Then we turn to
> the
> Bechamel types, milk or stock added to fatty roux, which spins out into
> the whole high art of the French Sauces of the late 17th Century and
> onwards.
Isn't gravy such a sauce?
Gravy is one thing we have discussed and I think there was only one
period recipe for gravy that has been found, and it is very late period.
gravy-msg          (8K)  9/ 1/00    Period gravy. Renaissance, not
medieval.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-CONDIMENTS/gravy-msg.html

> Maybe I should write that Mayo article myself?  Yah, in my copious
> spare
> time.
Well, if anyone is interested in writing such an article, I'd like to
have it for the Florilegium. While the evidence for its origins is
likely post-period, I still have info on several post-period items
because it shows that they probably weren't period. While simply not
having a file on a subject could imply that something is period but not
written about.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas