[Sca-cooks] "Period ingredients" (was: sauce verification)

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 10 17:30:54 PST 2003

On 11/10/03 3:41 PM, "david friedman" <ddfr at daviddfriedman.com> wrote:

> Selene Colfox wrote:
>
>> ...  A very dear friend who is a Laurel has been browbeating me for
>> a year about how she should be able to use mayonnaise because all
>> its ingredients are period.  Sigh.  Costuming and calligraphy were
>> her majors, but she cooks and really should know better.
>
> Try the following argument on her: Denim cloth is period. Indigo-blue
> dye is period (I'm told that the chemistry of woad is very similar to
> that of indigo and produces a similar effect). Rivets are period. But
> blue jeans?

I'll try that argument next time the subject comes up, but I'm not
optimistic about the results.  The lady is willfull.

In the meantime, I'll work on my cameline and other Typically Medieval
sauces.  Maybe nobody will notice the absence of their old favorites when we
give them some new ones.

Selene Colfox