[Sca-cooks] Favorite Norse/Viking camping event recipes

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 11 05:25:13 PST 2003

>The best actual cooked-on-site dish I've done is salmon in crust, baked in
>the ashes of the cookfire.

What was the recipe?  What kind of dough?   How thick was it?   Was
the salmon whole or filleted? Any seasoning or marinade inside the
crust? Did you send it to the table in the crust, or take it out?  I
assume the bottom crust was inedible, but what about the top?   Is
there any reason to think this is a Viking way to cook?  I think its
a pretty reasonable guess, but is there any proof?

Ranvaig
(planning salmon for the Irish Living History 12th night)