[Sca-cooks] Re: Tokien geekiness

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 13 21:10:40 PST 2003

On 11/13/03 12:51 PM, "dailleurs at liripipe.com" <dailleurs at liripipe.com>
wrote:

> hey all from Anne-Marie
>
> I cant believe I'm responding to this thread....
>
> Gunthar (hiya Gunthar :)) sez:
>> On a totally different thread. One of my fantasies is to produce a series
>> of meals based on Tolkein. Maybe not one as extravagant as Bilbo's birthday

Shoot, why not?  Fireworks, Gandolf!

>> but to try to reproduce such meals as at the Prancing Pony, Tom Bombadil's
>> dinner, the meal at the waterfall and such. I think it could be fun.
>>
>> But I'm a geek.

This gives me some ideas for next spring... Read below.

> you're not alone :). Our local culinary guild holiday party is slated for
> later in the season, and in spite of my wincing and eye rolling, the theme is
> apparently Tolkein Foods.

Sorry kiddo, Tolkien was a seminal influence on the SCA and its founders, so
this theme has a place in today's Society.  I can't really say the same for
Harry Potter, which gets my eyes rolling... Let me know what she comes up
with, Caid's next "Old Timers Tourney" [celebrating the Anno Societatis
Single Digit days] is having a Tolkien theme.  The new Baroness of Angels is
a Tolkien fan and has already announced a Lembas contest.

Lembas, the Elvish waybread, is supposed to be very sustaining but
delicious.  Ingredients included nuts and honey but the recipe was a deep
secret.  When the modern food marketing machine came out with Granola Bars,
I used to nibble on them while re-reading Lord of the Rings as my "lembas."

> --Anne-Marie, who's tastes in literature run towards contemporary americana
> fiction and hard sci fi vs the more fantasy based stuff.

Not a lot of hard SF people put a lot of food description in their books,
albeit a lot of them are serious foodies.  Anne McCaffrey did collect home
recipe from F/SF authors and publish it as SERVE IT FORTH but I don't think
it's still in print.

Selene Colfox