[Sca-cooks] Novice Saffron User

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Thu Nov 13 22:19:24 PST 2003

Hey all from Anne-Marie

As a novice saffron user, I'd suggest a dish that really lets you see
and taste what it is that saffron DOES. In most highly flavored medieval
recipes, the saffron is just one note among many (mmmm...saffron in
paste en pot lamb stew, or in that almond lemon chicken from The
Original Mediterrean Cuisine....)

I routinely stir a small pinch of saffron into sweet custard tart
filling. The threads make pretty red streaks, and you can actually TASTE
it.

Basically make your favorite custard tart, with a bit of cinnamon and
nutmeg, and add a pinch of saffron. Most of the sources, even to roman
times have a recipe for a custard tart of some kind. My personal fave
combo is using honey as the sweetener yum!

Good luck :) and happy saffroning! :)

--AM