[Sca-cooks] Novice Saffron User

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Fri Nov 14 09:33:59 PST 2003

The recipe for Darioles from Ancient Cookery (Curye on Inglysch) includes,
potentially, saffron. It's mostly supposed to be for color, but there's no
reason to not increase the amount to where you can taste it. It's really
good in the cheese variation.

Margaret

>From the Miscellany (because I am horrendously lazy and don't feel like
transcribing when I get home:

Darioles
Ancient Cookery p. 37/443

Take cream of almonds, or of cow milk, and eggs, and beat them well
together; and make small coffins, and do it therein; and do thereto sugar
and good powders, or else take good fat cheese and eggs, and make them of
divers colors, green, red, or yellow, and bake them and serve them forth.

1 1/3 c milk and cream
1/3 c sugar
2 eggs
1/6 t salt
enough pastry for 2 9" pie crusts

colorings, each in a quantity for 1/3 of the filling:
6 threads of saffron in 1 t water
3/16 t of saunders
2 T parsley mashed and strained with 2 t water

Make pastry into tart shells in muffin tins and bake about 10 minutes.
Make filling, divide in three and color one part with saffron, one with
saunders, and one with parsley juice. Pour into tart shells and bake. The
recipe makes 15 tarts.