[Sca-cooks] Novice Saffron User

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 14 14:49:01 PST 2003

On 13 Nov 2003, at 22:19, Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> Hey all from Anne-Marie
>
> As a novice saffron user, I'd suggest a dish that really lets you see
> and taste what it is that saffron DOES. In most highly flavored medieval
> recipes, the saffron is just one note among many (mmmm...saffron in
> paste en pot lamb stew, or in that almond lemon chicken from The
> Original Mediterrean Cuisine....)
>
> I routinely stir a small pinch of saffron into sweet custard tart
> filling. The threads make pretty red streaks, and you can actually TASTE
> it.

I have previously posted a recipe for Ginestada, which is a period Spanish
dish that is rather pudding-like.  It's milk thickened with rice flour, and
studded with nuts and dried fruits.  The name means "broom-flower dish"
because it is normally colored yellow with saffron, and the flowers of the
broom plant are yellow.  The particular recipe I make specifies that it can be
left white, so I don't usually include saffron.

You'll find recipes and more information in the Florilegium:
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/puddings-msg.text

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net