[Sca-cooks] Novice Saffron User

Zachary Kessin zkessin at cs.brandeis.edu
Thu Nov 13 22:26:59 PST 2003

I make no claims about this being in any way a period recipie, but my
Shabbat guests loved it week in and week out.

Zach's Famous Saffron Challah

3 cups Flour (I like King Arthur brand bread flour)
2 eggs
1 large squirt honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup water (warm)
1 tea spoon kosher salt
1 pinch saffron

Put the saffron in the water and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
Mix everything else as normal for bread (I used to use a bread maker
to mix it).

After first rising divide in 3rds and braid. let raise another 45
minutes or so. Wash with egg mixture. Bake 25 minututes at 350.

In truth with the exception of the water and the flour I don't
normally mesure anything.

--Zach