[Sca-cooks] Questions about de Nola

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Nov 18 08:54:27 PST 2003

Olwen the Odd wrote:
> I must say here that if you do a mixture of two or three different
> ingredients that you should make sure to make clear those ingredients.
> This mixture above, for instance, would make me ill as, for some odd
> reason, I am allergic to limes but no other citrus
> Olwen

I presume that this would be done as one of these--
original recipe calls for bitter orange juice-- we have substituted
  one, two, three, etc.

I wonder about the use of citric acid in these substitutions too.
What would happen if you used Realemon or the frozen Minute Maid for
part of the lemon juice?  There's always the problems that oranges vary
in sweetness which why a lot of the substitutions always call for
grapefruit. One of the new cookbooks calls for grapefruit peel to
substitute for bitter orange peel.

Johnnae