[Sca-cooks] Documentation for a Recipe

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 23 02:55:20 PST 2003

--- Robert Downie <rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca>
wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where this is from?  Both
> the cookbook name and date.
>
> Coated hens
> One shall take hens and scald them and cut them
> apart and cut all the meat from
> the bones, and tear it into small pieces, and
> boil the bones. Then the bones are
> taken from the broth and the meat is wrapped
> around them, and sprinkled with
> ground cinnamon, and put this in a batter/dough
> made of wheat flour and beaten
> eggs, and bake it in butter or lard. That is
> called coated hens.
>
> I found it in my email files but there was no
> mention of the source accompanying
> it.
> Faerisa

Here is the message that I found in Stefan's
Florilegium:

And just for fun, here is a fried chicken recipe
from the younger Danish
manuscript (13th century):

Blom th hØns

M n scul  tak  hØns oc scald  th m. oc lith  th m
synder oc sk r  alt kiØØth
fra been. oc riu  th t smath. oc siuth  the been.
oc tak  th m sith n af
soth oc wind  kiØØth th r vm. oc strØ th r pulu r
a. af cinamomum. oc l gg
th t sith n i deegh th r gØrth  r af hwet  mial
og slagh n  g oc bage th t
sith n i smØr  th smolt. th t heth r blom th
hØns.

Coated hens (well, chicken, I guess)

One shall take hens and scald them and cut them
apart and cut all the meat
from the bones, and tear it into small pieces,
and boil the bones. Then the
bones are taken from the broth and the meat is
wrapped around them, and
sprinkled with ground cinnamon, and put this in a
batter/dough made of wheat
flour and beaten eggs, and bake it in butter or
lard. That is called coated
hens.

I have here two Danish interpretations of this
recipe (Hans Veirup•s Til
taffel hos Kong Valdemar og Bi Skaarup•s and
Henrik Jacobsen•s
Middelaldermad - actually many other than Grewe
have done work on these
recipes) and they vary rather widely - one
suggests shaping pre-cooked
chicken meat around the bones to resemble chicken
legs, then wrapping them
in a pastry dough and baking them in an oven, the
other suggests leaving out
the bones, adding egg and flour to bind the meat,
then to form oblong shapes
that are dipped in batter and deep-fried.

Nanna

=====
shall never cease to be amused.