[Sca-cooks] Sweet potatoes

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Tue Nov 25 12:02:46 PST 2003

I think I am the only person that likes sweet potatoes as a
vegetable. No sugar at all, please.

My favorite recipe is Sweet Potato and Kale.

Slice an small yellow onion and caramelize it in a cast iron pan with
a tiny bit of oil.  While the onion cooks down, peel and slice a big
sweet potato and put the slices on top of the onion.  Cover and turn
down the heat, and maybe add a spoon or two of water, just enough so
it doesn't burn.

Then go out to the garden and shake the snow off of a quart or so of
kale, rinse and chop it and throw it on top of the sweet potato, push
in as much as you can fit.  Cover and braise til the kale is soft.
This makes enough for ME for supper.  Might serve 4-6 as a side dish.

You can make it with kale from the store, but it will not be as good.