snarky remarks about eating habits Re: [Sca-cooks] Sweet potatoes

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 25 22:07:25 PST 2003

Hm... anyone know what they diagnosed diabetes as in the 17th and 18th
centuries? If an increase in sugar intake WERE the controlling factor in
diabetes, one would expect an upsurge in diabetes deaths with the
massively increased use of sugar in that time period.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

My great-grandmother (circa 1900) had 'sugar'.  That was what they called
it, or 'problems with her sugar', etc.  I remember reading about early
physicians tasting diabetic's urine because it would actually be sweet.  Hm,
part of medieval healing I'm leaving on the historical shelf, along with
regular bleedings...
Christianna