snarky remarks about eating habits Re: [Sca-cooks] Sweet potatoes

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Nov 25 12:57:31 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Hm... anyone know what they diagnosed diabetes as in the 17th and 18th
> centuries? If an increase in sugar intake WERE the controlling factor in
> diabetes, one would expect an upsurge in diabetes deaths with the
> massively increased use of sugar in that time period.

Don't know that it causes diabetes- didn't say it did. I DO know that almost
every diabetic I know absolutely loves sugar and sweet stuff- I suspect
because their body is trying hard to get the sugars it needs, not realizing
that the insulin isn't breaking it down so that it can be used. I suspect
that might be a warning sign for people who are going to shortly be
diagnosed as diabetic.

I DO know that there's generally a high correlation between being diabetic,
and being overweight, and I'm also aware that many (note- I said MANY, not
ALL) overweight people tend to overindulge in sugary foods- cakes, pies,
cookies, soda pop to mention a few things. I also know that Americans in
general are overweight, and that many popular foods have lots of refined
sugars in them- have you ever seen the break down on a Big Mac, for example?

Me, I just don't particularly like sugar, other than occasionally, and just
use it as a spice.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

aka The Jabberwocky...