snarky remarks about eating habits Re: [Sca-cooks] Sweet potatoes

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur goldbergr1 at cox.net
Thu Nov 27 09:04:25 PST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:20:18 -0500, lourenen at hotmail.com wrote:
> Deaths in that time frame were never attributed to "diabetes".  It
> is only within the last
> 20 or so years that diabetes has been put as the cause of death.
> In the  17th and 18th
> century is wasn't diagnosed  much because those afflicted tended to
> die very young and
> sometimes the symptoms were not recognized as caused by diabetes,
> such as gout, heart
> attack or circulatory problems, etc.

It was frequently diagnosed; it just couldn't be TREATED. Furthermore, the
relationship to heart disease has been known for centuries. It was the
pathophysiology that connected the two that was missing. Type I diabetics do
tend to die young, but most type II diabetics don't even develop overt
disease until the 5th decade of life (although that's becoming younger and
younger in modern America).