[Sca-cooks] cooking holiday choke that Muse! - jicama

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Fri Nov 28 07:43:38 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> and how often do you see me stuffing gross amounts of food down my
> throat? I eat small portions 6 or 6 times a day, per my diabetic
> nutritionist. [hey, soup subdivides into leftovers quite well,
> thankyouveryuch]
>
> Rob is the one who considers half a bag of veggies to be one serving...
> margali
> hmf wierd food. you have obvioulsy joined the group of people who
> pontificate on the diet without bothering to read the book.
> meat/poultry/seafood, nonglycemic fruits and veggies, restrained whole
> grains, dairy.
>
> read the blasted book, then you can call it wierd food.

Margali, if you're on what you consider is a reasonable diet that is having
good results, I'm happy for you. Personally, I _DON'T_ CARE what you or
anyone else eats or weighs, unless you step on my toe (at which point I care
very intensely for a short period of time).

We've had discussions on health factors affecting weight gain and loss. I
tend to believe that you're in one of the pre-diabetic, diabetic catagories,
simply because of observations I've made- that you considered Splenda in the
packets to be equivalent to an equal amount of sugar, whereas I found it
considerably sweeter, for one.

I don't believe I was referring to all overweight or obese people when I
made my observations- there are different strictures for different people.
On the other hand, I have observed people who are overweight or obese, who
_DO_ stuff vast quantities of food down their throats, and are forever on
some squirrelly diet or another. Case in point, a girl I used to work with,
named Deanna.

She weighed in at 300 lbs plus, and we all went out to lunch one day. The
day's special was fried chicken and the trimmings, with a decent selection
of pies for dessert. She not only cleaned up her plate, including three
pieces of chicken, but cleaned up all the leftover chicken the rest of us
had, had two pieces of pie for dessert, not to mention a couple of non-diet
soft drinks, continually complaining about her weight and her diet. And this
was not a special meal, merely a standard workday lunch, where several of us
happened to stop at the same place. Her car was a trip- filled to the
windows with candy and cookie wrappers- Gee- I wonder why she was
overweight? And I've known many others like her.

An observation I've made about Americans in general- _NOT_ specifying anyone
in particular, is that those who are overweight from excessive food intake
are looking for some magic cure that lets them eat anything they want in any
quantity they want, with no exercise requirements. It's rather like the wild
hair my mother got one time, when she took my glasses and wouldn't let me
have them back, because she felt that I was too "dependent" on them, and
that doing without would magically improve my eyesight. After a week of
watching me trip over, knock over, step on and spill everything in the
house, not to mention trying to watch TV from a foot away, or read things
from 3 inches away (I could see better then) she finally decided that
depriving me of my glasses wasn't going to work.

Well, it's a nice dream, but so far there's no magic pill. If you want to
control your weight at a particular level, you're going to have to get
proactive, and do something that works. Moderation works for me, and for
most average people. Other things may be needed for other people.

But, in the mean time, please forgive my amusement at watching Amricans in
general making fortunes for people who sell them everything they always
wanted to eat, but less, when what, IMO, is usually needed, is just simply
less- after all- how many obese Jews came out of the concentration camps?

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.