[Sca-cooks] Changing the subject to fladen

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Fri Nov 28 14:39:40 PST 2003

>Actually, I've been trying to figure out exactly how to classify 'fladen'
>myself.
>
>As far as I can tell, a "fladen" just refers to something being a "flat
>cake" (I BELIEVE that in modern German, 'fladen' is also a euphemism for a
>'cow patty'...).  So, anything that's a 'patty' or 'pancake' or similar
>shape might be called a 'fladen', regardless of what it's made of.

Modern recipes for fladen seem to be a kind of fried filled bread.

http://www.marions-kochbuch.de/rezept/0523.htm
has a picture of "Hungarian" fladen.  Are Hungarian ones different
from others?  or do they have a Hungarian filling?

http://www.spike-jamie.com/recipes/recipes17.html
calls fluden a filled flakey pastry and perhaps Jewish

The Guten spise recipes COULD easily fit this, but then again could
be more like a tart.  But how does either fit with cherry fruit leather?
Is the cherry supposed to be a filling in the bread/pastry/tart?

Ranvaig