[Sca-cooks] Southern Cornbread, was Thanksgiving Cooking in a Corset

Edouard de Bruyerecourt bruyere at jeffnet.org
Sat Nov 29 21:45:46 PST 2003

My personal experiences in Virginia and Arkansas while visiting family is
that restaurants more often serve sweet cornbread, and many of the recipes
I come across for 'authentic Southern' cornbread have enough sugar to
sweeten the product. But some reflection at this moment reminds me that I
often find sweet cornbread in local restaurants in the Pacific Northwest.

My mother (a Denver girl) made cornbread with little or no sugar, usually
served with chili or black-eyed peas. However, it's very likely that she
learned it from my paternal grandmother, who is from Oklahoma/Arkansas.

My mother would put either bacon drippings or shortening into the bottom of
a preheated Pyrex baking pan. I use shortening usually, but I have been
trying clarified butter lately. Normally, I use a similar Pyrex pan, but
this time around, the oven decided to go on holiday early, and I managed to
do it in a cast iron Dutch oven on the stove top. Aside from the location of
the pot, I pretty much followed my usual steps.

I'll pass on the Duke's. :) I'll stick to buttermilk. I have used both fresh
buttermilk, and instant buttermilk, with satisfaction both ways.

We usually had Jiffy blueberry muffin mix in the cupboard. That's the only
Jiffy product I remember (I used to think that's all they made for that
reason).

EdB