[Sca-cooks] Re: Odd question

iasmin at comcast.net iasmin at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 06:25:40 PST 2003

> Just got a question from one of my smithing friends- it seems his daughter
> is making some chili, and she says it's "too acid" and wants to know
> what to out in it to neutralize it, that won't chenge the flavor. Of all the
> standard chili ingredients, only the tomatoes would be acid-
> anybody have a clue as to what else she might have put in it? Vinegar, maybe?

Without asking her directly, there's no good way to know. The tomatos may well be the probelm. Althea's Load suggested adding sugar as a way of counteracting the acidic nature of that fruit. In the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, they have an interesting alternative among the Finnish crowds: ground carrots. Cheaper than sugar and adds a little bulk.

Iasmin