[Sca-cooks] Citron

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 28 07:26:05 PST 2003

OK, OK, i finally gave in and bought a Cthulhoid "Hand of Buddha"
citron at the Berkeley Bowl yesterday. They smell so absolutely
wonderful and look so positively Lovecraftian, i could no longer
resist.

Now, what do i do with it, besides admire its aroma and wonder at its
appearance? I assume there isn't much fruit inside and it's primarily
rind.

I assume it's good to make into preserves, but, well, i actually
rarely eat jam and do not care for jelly, unless there's something
really special about it - i did buy one jar of lavender jelly and
another of violet jelly...

I dislike fruitcakes made with icky things like maraschino cherries
and other plasticky preserved fruit (they often include some kind of
preserved citron, but it tastes nasty), but i do like fruitcakes made
with dried fruits.

So, besides citron preserves made with sugar, what other
possibilities are there?

Anahita