[Sca-cooks] Citron

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Oct 28 07:54:51 PST 2003

You candy the rind and in most cases I have read that one tosses the
fruit or preserves it by cooking it with sugar. The fruit is reportedly
very bitter. You could then used the preserved fruit as a gift or in
another recipe. One of the websites use this type of citron  "in any
recipes that calls for lemon: baked goods like biscotti, fruit compotes,
casseroles, and soufflés."
http://www.melissas.com/catalog/index.cfm?info=yes&product_ID=429
includes recipes for Cranberry Buddha Hand & Serrano Sauce
Candied Buddha's Hand Zest and Buddha's Hand Zest Fruit Cocktail.
These are such a speciality product that there aren't a whole lot of
recipes for them. There are all sorts of 16th and 17th century recipes
for the regular citrons, mostly again for candying and preserving but
also for pies or baked or even boiled (Dawson).

Johnnae