Fw: Fw: [Sca-cooks] plea for help-- Soup for the Qan

drakey at webone.com.au drakey at webone.com.au
Wed Oct 1 15:48:43 PDT 2003

Gene's about right on this one...

I've done this recipe only once a while back which worked ok but I wasn't
over enarmoured with the flavour.

I did use European Crap as the fish flesh and the consistency does come out
right.  I don't think the carp had been rested long enough as the final
product tasted muddy and weedy.  Even buying fillets at the fish market, it
had to be extensively picked over for bones... Pain in the b*m.

I found the the dried peel is another pain in the b*m to deal with as
well.. You dont want to grind it but it does require some patience to get a
fine dice.  I could only find the dried mandarin peel with the wierd white
fungus blooms (at least I think that's what it is) the chinese like to let
grow on it.  It's too bitter so next time I'm going to dry my own peel in a
dehydrator.

I also can only get the compounded Asafoetida but the tiny amount used
(whether resin or powder) I don't think has any binding properties.

I used a reasonable amount of onion and chopped it so fine it was almost a
paste.  and then I mixed the lot up and blended/beat (not in a blender) it
for a bit until it was pretty much a gelatinous paste with a reasonable
amount of suction (if that makes sense). I suspect the finer and stickier
the paste you get the better the recipe would work...

I was able to get 'bullet' shaped fish cakes that stayed together
reasonably well.  Having more lamb fat (an inch deep)in the pan and keeping
the fat hot helped I think too.

Cheers,

Drake.

ps.  I've made Euryale flour by grinding and sifting fox nuts
     but it's completely unsuited to making noodles?  Advice
     anyone?

     How do I get the brown bit off the outside of the nuts so
     I can get the flour white? Advice anyone?

Cheers,

Drake.