[Sca-cooks] plea for help-- Soup for the Qan

KazOShea at aol.com KazOShea at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 17:49:38 PDT 2003

Ok I have experience making the little critters ( about 450 to be cloe to
exact)
We used tilapia, because carp was not attainable for a good price, and the
tilapia was boned.
the  asafoetida  does not have any binding properites that I am aware of
since the amount used is so very miniscule even if it did it would not be enough
to matter unless it had the tensile strength of a super glue.
What I discovered worked good was to use a few eggs to bind the cakes, was it
in the book, well not that I am aware of, but it worked and made life much
better. ( for abou 7 lbs of mix I used I think a dozen eggs.) When they were
made, the fillets were initially roughly diced while still partially frozen
alloweed to thaw and then more finely diced with a pair of meat cleavers ( yes I
picked that up from Iron Chef, and let me tell you it is fun and a good way to
relieve stress). I had also tossed in the spice mix while the fillets were
partially frozen and left things thaw together and blend flavors. When they were
done people did not even know t was fish, they thought it tasted like KFC
nuggets. the oil has to be very very hot< I think we used oil at 450 - 475 degrees
for the deepfrying. And tey were left in for a little over a minute. We did
them in batches of 20 in a deepfrying pan the size of a turkey roaster.
We also had left out the sheeps tail because we could not find any. We did
not sub in an ingredient for the sheeps tail.

Had many compliments on both the flavor and texture of the cakes. Also made a
dipping sauce of soy sauce and honey ( about a 4 part soy sauce  to 1 part
honey ratio.) Kikkoman soy sauce use, generic honey.

Tis all I have

Iago