[Sca-cooks] Feast Food for Picky Royalty

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Thu Oct 2 11:09:44 PDT 2003

On Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 01:30  PM, Jane Massey wrote:

> I hope maybe the cooks on the board can help me with a major feast
> problem.  I finally got a list of what the Royalty will eat/not eat
> and am totally befuddled as to what to do.
> His majesty is a very picky eater. His feast fav's include hot dogs,
> mashed potatoes, Ho Ho's, string cheese and grilled cheese. He doesn't
> like rice, meat (I think he means beef), vegetables, eggs. It now
> looks like I have to make a seperate feast for him. Do you think this
> is too accommodating? Or should I change my menu slightly (omit the
> beef, add more cheese kinda thing). Most royalty I have cooked for are
> usually pretty adventurous, so I'm kinda stressing over this.

Ok, first I'd check and make sure this wasn't some kind of sick joke -
even my 6 year old eats better than that.  If it is a joke, then you
slap the perpetrator.  However, if this is really what the king wants
then make it for him - most of these are pretty simple to make (boil
the hot dogs, instant mashed potatoes, you can get pre-made microwave
grilled cheese sandwiches, and everything else comes out of a package).

In such a situation though, I'd be sorely tempted to have it announced
during serving.  "The next course is pork with camaline sauce,
honey-glazed fennel root, and spinach tart.  His Majesty will be having
boiled hot dogs, instant mashed potatoes, and Ho Ho's."  Ahhhh, such
class!

- Doc