[Sca-cooks] Re: Feast Food for Picky Royalty

Cindy Halstead chalstead3 at adelphia.net
Thu Oct 2 14:16:59 PDT 2003

Given what you're describing, it sounds to me like HRM of Atlantia, is that
correct? As it happens, I'm one of the retainers for TRM this reign.  What
has been said about His Maj is true - he's a finicky eater.  However, as
has also been said, he does NOT expect the entire menu to revolve around
his likes and dislikes.  Nor does he expect you to offer him things that
are not considered period food, although I'm sure he'd be happy to eat it
if you decide you want to.  I doubt he really expects to get HoHos at
feast. He's pretty much not a meat eater, not just not a beef eater.

Given he likes his hotdogs AS hotdogs, I'm not sure the brats idea would
fly.  It's a good idea, don't get me wrong, but I doubt that would serve as
a reasonable substitute.  If you want, I can check and find out for you.

The simplest thing to do, which I've seen done in several feasts so far, is
to prepare a dish like macrows or losyns, either just for him or as a dish
for everyone.  He'll be perfectly happy with that, bread, and fruit if it's
offered.

No, I don't know how he manages to live like this, I guess he's just got
good heredity.  He does eat a lot of fruit, which may be what saves
him.  In his defense, the reason he eats on board is that he feels it is
part of his duty as king to be present during the feast.  TRM frequently do
mini-courts during feast, particularly if they want to recognize someone
who has been working in the kitchen and don't want to pull them out during
court half an hour before the feast begins.  Under any other circumstances,
he would not even express his preferences to the cooks, and would either
eat what he can or go off-board.  He knows his limited palate causes
problems, and tries to minimize it as much as possible.

I'll be more than happy to serve as an information link to TRM if you like.

Caitlyn