[Sca-cooks] HEAT DEFUSERS

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Fri Oct 3 09:26:08 PDT 2003

> Can anybody give information on heat diffusers for one's
> electric stove?
>
> I bought a set of cast iron ones today. It is a metal plate
> (fairly heavy)
> that sits on top of the element and is used in conjunction
> with having the
> burner on underneath. It is supposed to prevent spill overs.
>
> Can you cook on them  (on high) for a prolonged time?
> Are they *just* for warming things?
> Thanks!
> Phillipa

I use these constantly and fare quite well on electric stoves. I use
them to prevent foods from sticking to the bottom of my pots, for slower
cooking temps and to eliminate hot spots. I frequently use them when
cooking on high, as in the case of making wonking large quantities of
rice. Nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. As well, I find I cant
live without them when cooking on a propane camp stove. I use it for
everything.

I don't have a fancy set of these, although I have considered
commissioning my local armour maker to fashion some of these for me. I'm
sure they would last much longer than the dollar store ones I buy.

Micaylah