[Sca-cooks] Frankfurter sausage not period? was Feast Food for Picky Royalty

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sat Oct 4 13:28:29 PDT 2003

Everyone seems to be getting all flustered because this King wants hot dogs.
So what's non-period about hot-dogs, aside from the preservatives we use
now?  I lived in Germany for about 16 years (didn't go to K-Town high school
:-) and the assortment of sausages over there was astonishing.  The
Frankfurter Sausage I have eaten in Frankfurt am Main looked and tasted
exactly like foot long dogs I've had here in the States.  Other varieties of
Rindwurst look and taste a lot like Oscar Meyer (nice German name that)
makes.

There are also the little Nuremberg sausages that remind me of the Hillshire
Farms "little smokies" that I can get here.

Rindwurst, Weisswurst, Bratwurst.  The list goes on for a long time since
each Germany village seems to have it's own specialties!

Is all this food snobbery (grin) just because the hot dogs we know are
American and therefore deserving of contempt?  Ever had a fried egg on your
spaghetti as in Germany?  It's really spiff when it's spaghetti ice cream,
strawberry jam and created ice cream fried egg topping.

Regina