[Sca-cooks] Frankfurter sausage not period? was Feast Food for Picky Royalty

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Oct 4 16:21:46 PDT 2003

Also sprach Wanda Pease:
>Everyone seems to be getting all flustered because this King wants hot dogs.
>So what's non-period about hot-dogs, aside from the preservatives we use
>now?  I lived in Germany for about 16 years (didn't go to K-Town high school
>:-) and the assortment of sausages over there was astonishing.  The
>Frankfurter Sausage I have eaten in Frankfurt am Main looked and tasted
>exactly like foot long dogs I've had here in the States.  Other varieties of
>Rindwurst look and taste a lot like Oscar Meyer (nice German name that)
>makes.

And then, of course, there are Wienerwursts, which, along with
Frankfurters, are associated with the whole "hot dog" presentation
(both are claimed by various people to be the classic "hot dog", but
are not quite the same thing). Could it be that real German
Frankfurters are rindwursts (IOW, beef) and Wieners (usually pork and
veal, or pork and beef, or all pork) are not? I suspect the modern
assumption of the American hot dog being all beef may be an offshoot
of the Kosher Frank phenomenon; the frankfurters sold by the various
German butchers in my area (as opposed to the crud sold by the
supermarkets, which, with the exception of Oscar Meyer Wieners, are
almost exclusively beef -- not counting turkey or chicken or tofu
franks which are, collectively and in no particular order of
precedence, the lowest of the low) seem to be pork and beef, fairly
heavily smoked.

>There are also the little Nuremberg sausages that remind me of the Hillshire
>Farms "little smokies" that I can get here.

I think I've seen these in German and Austrian versions of bigos,
sort of a fancy, assorted-meat-garnished sauerkraut, similar to
choucroute garni.

>Rindwurst, Weisswurst, Bratwurst.  The list goes on for a long time since
>each Germany village seems to have it's own specialties!
>
>Is all this food snobbery (grin) just because the hot dogs we know are
>American and therefore deserving of contempt?

Maybe. But possibly because the sausages Americans think of as hot
dogs are, admittedly, often beef, but also ultra-processed (not
inherently non-period in concept but we tend to equate period with
rustic/crude on some level), and are frequently laced with paprika,
which would make them late period, if period at all. And, possibly,
there's some assumption, rightly or wrongly, that American hot dogs
are one step up, if at all, on the quality scale from dog food. I've
seen some that were perfectly fine, and some that were terrible. But
all these previous could be factors, I suspect.

>   Ever had a fried egg on your
>spaghetti as in Germany?  It's really spiff when it's spaghetti ice cream,
>strawberry jam and created ice cream fried egg topping.

I'm not quite sure what all this means, although the first part is
clear. Does spaghetti ice cream bear a similar relationship to
regular ice cream as rice pudding does to custard: ice cream often
being a frozen cream custard, and, as with rice pudding, does it have
a starchy/grainy stuff added to it?

Adamantius