[Sca-cooks] Frankfurter sausage not period? was Feast Food for Picky Royalty

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sat Oct 4 17:18:04 PDT 2003

> >There are also the little Nuremberg sausages that remind me of
> the Hillshire
> >Farms "little smokies" that I can get here.
>
> I think I've seen these in German and Austrian versions of bigos,
> sort of a fancy, assorted-meat-garnished sauerkraut, similar to
> choucroute garni.

Actually, they are little minature hot dogs about two inches long.  Think of
Vienna Sausages (okay, don't think of them since they are famine food) in
size.  They are a particular specialty of Nuremberg and the Christmas
Market.  Eaten with Pomme Frites and mayonnaise.

> >Rindwurst, Weisswurst, Bratwurst.  The list goes on for a long time since
> >each Germany village seems to have it's own specialties!
> >
> >   Ever had a fried egg on your
> >spaghetti as in Germany?  It's really spiff when it's spaghetti
> ice cream,
> >strawberry jam and created ice cream fried egg topping.
>
> I'm not quite sure what all this means, although the first part is
> clear. Does spaghetti ice cream bear a similar relationship to
> regular ice cream as rice pudding does to custard: ice cream often
> being a frozen cream custard, and, as with rice pudding, does it have
> a starchy/grainy stuff added to it?

> Adamantius

Spaghetti ice is good vanilla ice cream put through a sieve (squasher) so
that it comes out in long strands.  It is then piled on  plate to look like
spaghetti, sauced with a runny strawberry jam (as opposed to a syrup), and
topped with another ice cream confection built to resemble a fried egg.

Fun with your food!

Regina