[Sca-cooks] A jalab recipe - Syrup of Carrots

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Sun Oct 5 11:39:13 PDT 2003

Stef said...
> Well, here's one to start off. A bit strange sounding to me, probably
> because I am not fond of carrots. But I don't think there are any
> unknown ingredients although perhaps some question of a source for
> flower of cloves. Or does that simply mean ground cloves? We've
> answered this question before, but I can't remember the answer right
> now.
>
> Syrup of Carrots
> Take four ratls of carrots, after removing the fibers [lit. "nerves"]
> that are in the centers, and cook them in water until their substance
> comes out. Then take the clear part of it and add it to three ratls of
> honey, cleaned of its foam. The bag: ...[about three words missing]...
> an uqiya of cubebs, two uqiyas each of ginger and long
> pepper, and half
> an uqiya of cinnamon and flower of cloves. Cook until it
> takes the form
> of a syrup. Drink an uqiya of this with three of hot water....

Actually it sounds not too bad. I might "guinea pig" this at a pickled
turnip taste-off/middle eastern lunch thingy a few of us are doing at an
upcoming event. It sounds like it would go well with what we're having.

Imo, its a pretty straight forward translation except my brain is
refusing to give up the equivalents of a ratl and a uqiya. I know I knew
this. Can anyone please reiterate? I am also assuming that they want you
to core the carrots?

Micaylah