[Sca-cooks] A jalab recipe - Syrup of Carrots

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Oct 7 10:01:06 PDT 2003

Stefan quoted the recipe:

>  > Syrup of Carrots
>>  Take four ratls of carrots, after removing the fibers [lit. "nerves"]
>>  that are in the centers, and cook them in water until their substance
>>  comes out. Then take the clear part of it and add it to three ratls of
>>  honey, cleaned of its foam. The bag: ...[about three words missing]...
>>  an uqiya of cubebs, two uqiyas each of ginger and long
>>  pepper, and half
>>  an uqiya of cinnamon and flower of cloves. Cook until it
>>  takes the form
>  > of a syrup. Drink an uqiya of this with three of hot water....

and Micaylah replied:

>Imo, its a pretty straight forward translation except my brain is
>refusing to give up the equivalents of a ratl and a uqiya. I know I knew
>this. Can anyone please reiterate? I am also assuming that they want you
>to core the carrots?

A ratl is about a pound, an uqiya is one twelfth of a ratl--think
Troy ounce. And yes, it looks like coring the carrots. We did this
once and threw all the bits of the carrot we didn't use into a
chicken soup. The drink wasn't bad but wasn't good enough that we
have done it again.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook