[Sca-cooks] A jalab recipe - Syrup of Carrots

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Oct 5 21:31:22 PDT 2003

As I recall, when Serena made this for her feast, it came out a dark brown
with just a tinge of oarange - it just wasn't what I was expecting.  It was
ok, not wonderful, not terrible, different, and ok.
Christianna

Syrup of Carrots
Take four ratls of carrots, after removing the fibers [lit. "nerves"]
that are in the centers, and cook them in water until their substance
comes out. Then take the clear part of it and add it to three ratls of
honey, cleaned of its foam. The bag: ...[about three words missing]...
an uqiya of cubebs, two uqiyas each of ginger and long pepper, and half
an uqiya of cinnamon and flower of cloves. Cook until it takes the form
of a syrup. Drink an uqiya of this with three of hot water....