[Sca-cooks] OT:More on canning....

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Oct 6 10:24:26 PDT 2003

I don't think that one substitutes for the other.

You can however use the pressure cooker to "cook" the jam or jelly down
of course which reduces time. And you may find enough uses to justify
keeping it.
Pressure cookers are rather sensitive and everything I've read about
them stresses that they ought to be used according to the instructions.
In other words, don't experiment with them. Older models are subject to
trouble with seals and such. Failures can end in burns. You might see if
the local extension office or school district evening course office
offers a canning class.

Johnnae llyn Lewis