[Sca-cooks] Basic Kosher

Zachary Kessin zkessin at cs.brandeis.edu
Tue Oct 7 23:15:30 PDT 2003

OK basic laws of Kashrut.

1) No mixing meat and dairy. You have to wait several hours after
   eating meat until you are allowed to eat anything dairy. How long
   depends on where you are from, traditions vary. In my case it is 3
   hrs. Numbers range from 1 to 6 hours.

2) All meat must be from Kosher animals.
2a) For mamals a kosher animal must have a cloven hoof and chew its
    cud. So in common usage, beaf, veal, lamb (goat and bison and
    dear as well)

2b) For poultry the bible includes a list of "Do not eat these"
    The common kosher birds are Chicken, Squab, Goose, Duck and Turkey.

2c) Sea food must have fins and scales. So Trout, salmon, tuna, and
    many others are kosher. Shellfish, shark, eel and so on are not.

3) Meat (but not fish) must be slaughtered in a specific manor. So not
   just any chicken is kosher, you must specificly buy a kosher
   chicken. Here in Jerusalem, unless you go to the Arab market almost
   all meat is Kosher. Meat must also be soaked and salted to remove
   the blood. some parts of the hindquarters are very difficult to
   make kosher as some specific fats and nerves must be removed. In
   the US this is rarely done as its is just too expensive.

4) Fish, vegetables, eggs, fruit etc is "Parve" which is to say it is
   not meat or diary. However fish and meat should not be served on
   the same plate (I don't understand this bit to be honest).

5) Meat and Diary must be prepared in separate utensils, and served
   on separate dishes. So in my kitchen there are 2 sets of dishes
   two sets of pots etc. Of course you can't cook kosher food in pots
   that have been used for non kosher food, unless you kasher the
   pots. How you do that is beyond the scope of this email.

6) Don't ask about Passover. (lots more rules)

Its not that complex once you do it for a while. Everything here is
how things are done today, but is drawn from period sources,
specificly the Shulkhan Aruk, a 16th century codification of Jewish
Law.

If someone wants Kosher food at your feast email me, It may be
doable.

--Yehoshua