[Sca-cooks] cheese pudding

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 11:07:08 PDT 2003

Greetings, all.  ...Coming out of lurk-mode...

I have done a fair amount of research into cheese and
cheesemaking, and don't recall seeing recipes for
cheese pudding - however, they could be out there!  I
have found a *ton* of recipes for cheese tarts, both
sweet and savory, that have a similar pudding type
consistency within a baked shell.  One of my favorites
is Lese Fryes, which I took from Renfrow's Take a
Thousand Eggs unredacted book (I believe it's printed
from Two Fifteenth Century cookbooks?).  Here's the
recipe:

Lese Fryes
Take fresh cheese, and pare it clene, and grinde hit
in a morter small, and draw yolkes and white of egges
through a streynour, and cast there-to, and grinde hem
togeterh; then cast thereto sugur, butter and salt,
and put all together in a coffin of faire paste, and
lete bake enough, and then serve it forthe.

My redaction:
16 oz. Ricotta
3 eggs
1/4 Cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablspoons soft butter

I used a basic flaky crust, but here's the recipe:
3/4 Cup white flour
1/4 Cup whole wheat flour
1/3 Cup chilled butter
2 1/2 Tablespoons cold water

Make the pie crust first: mix flours, cut butter
finely into flour with two knives, then mix the water
into the flour-butter mixture without crushing the
flour and butter together. Roll into a ball and wrap
in parchment paper or saran wrap, let rest in the
refrigerator for at least one hour.  Makes one 9" pie
crust. Pre-bake crust for 10 minutes. Mix filling and
pour into crust. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

This is *really* yummy.  We're serving it at an
upcoming Baronial feast.  Other recipes can be found
in a variety of sources, or check out Stephan's
Florilegium http://www.florilegium.org/  and look
under Food.

Eibhlin
West Kingdom, Cheesemaker's Guild